If you want to create a website that can receive donations, then this detailed tutorial is really going to help you. The tutorial uses Wepay.com, a free to sign-up and tool you can use to receive donations right now. And, we show you how to add it to your free website using the IconoSites website builder, where anyone can build a website in minutes.
1. The first and foremost step is to create an account at Wepay.com. The site has a simple and fast sign-up process. It allows you to sign-up via Facebook but for privacy reasons, I would suggest you to use the regular email sign-up procedure. Use your original information and a valid email to create an account as shown in the screenshot.
2. As soon as you press the green sign-up button, an email is sent to you regarding activation of the account. Log in into your email and click on the verification link/button. Also, you are redirected to the new page on the website. Enter the text that you want your customers/donators to see. This can be anything from your organization/company name to a random quote. Follow screen-shot if you face any difficulty.
3. The website now gives you 4 options - Invoices, Events, Stores and Donations. Since we are talking about implementing a donation system into the website at the moment, we would keep the focus on the same topic and discuss the other options later.
Now click on the Donations option (4th option. See screen-shot below.).
4. The website now asks for your Campaign Name, Description and an Campaign End Date. Fill in all the fields. Press Next on the bottom right of the screen.
5. The following screen appearing on the website allows you to set a Fundraising Goal, show that amount publicly and also insert a Suggestion Amount. You can also give a description for the amount. From there click on Add, and then Next (refer to screen-shot).
6. The next screen will then be for customizing your campaign. This is a premium service so you’ll find the application dimmed out. You don’t need to do anything here though, so head on down to the bottom of the screen and click on Next.
7. Your Donation is now ready and is awaiting publishing. Press the ‘Publish’ button and half of the work is done.
On the next screen, press the ‘Save’ button that appears in blue color at the bottom right where ‘Next’ used to appear.
8. To embed the created donation item in a webpage, we need a widget. Click on the Widgets tab and under Customize the widget, check the items that apply. You can change the button text if you like, however Donate is suggested. Then on the right side, you will see a live preview followed by the widget code. Right click on this code and copy it.
9. Now log-in in your IconoSites website maker account and add on ‘Add Page’ option in the bottom menu bar.
This will open up the new page dialog box. Write the name of the Page and select ‘Standard Page’.
10. As soon as you click on Create, a page editing window opens. Scroll down to ‘Your Page Content’ tab and click on HTML. It is compulsory that you add the copied code into HTML editor (see screen shot below).
11. Paste the code and press the ‘Update’ button.
The last step is to then click the ‘Save & Exit’ button in the bottom toolbar.
That’s it. You can now go to your website to see how the new donation item looks.
Also - you can do pretty much anything on this page like writing text, inserting images, formatting them and so on just like your other pages.